This has long been one of my favorite healthy comfort foods. Its super simple and easy to make, and tastes cozy and warm.
Using simple ingredients that you probably have on hand, this is a good go to for a quick healthful snack.
3 ingredients make up the heart of this recipe:
- Olive Oil
Then from there, you can add in extras to give more flavor. I love adding a few fresh herbs (oregano goes particularly great here) and a little chili past for a kick of heat.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or shallow sauce pan on medium/high heat and add olive oil. Next add in your chopped garlic and cook until fragrant and slightly browned:
Next, add in chopped tomatoes and lower heat to low/medium. Cook until tomatoes are broken down. You can help this process along by using a wooden spoon to gently smash the tomatoes a little bit.Print
Simple and healthy tomato dish is cozy, comforting, and made in minutes!
- About a pound and a half of tomatoes, chopped (this comes to around 6 tomatoes on the vine, or 10-12 Roma tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- Heat a large skillet or shallow sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant
- Slowly add int he chopped tomatoes and lower heat to low/medium. Let simmer until tomatoes are broken down. Use a wooden spoon to gently smash the tomatoes down further. We are going for a somewhat chunky sauce with a lot of juices.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (I use about ½ teaspoon of pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt) Taste and adjust.
- Add in extras like oregano and/or chili paste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to get all of the tomato flavors going
- Enjoy with warmed pita bread.
- 3-ingredient Mediterranean Tomato Dish keeps well in the fridge for several days. To reheat, simply place on medium heat in a saucepan for a few minutes until heated throughout. Alternatively, you can heat in the microwave but I recommend using the stovetop if possible for best results.