Simple and healthy tomato dish is cozy, comforting, and made in minutes!
- About a pound and a half of tomatoes, chopped (this comes to around 6 tomatoes on the vine, or 10-12 Roma tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- Heat a large skillet or shallow sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant
- Slowly add int he chopped tomatoes and lower heat to low/medium. Let simmer until tomatoes are broken down. Use a wooden spoon to gently smash the tomatoes down further. We are going for a somewhat chunky sauce with a lot of juices.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (I use about 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt) Taste and adjust.
- Add in extras like oregano and/or chili paste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes to get all of the tomato flavors going
- Enjoy with warmed pita bread.
- 3-ingredient Mediterranean Tomato Dish keeps well in the fridge for several days. To reheat, simply place on medium heat in a saucepan for a few minutes until heated throughout. Alternatively, you can heat in the microwave but I recommend using the stovetop if possible for best results.