Simple and elegant creamy polenta cooks up in 20 minutes and goes great alongside chicken or steak.
- 1 package of cooked polenta
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups water or milk
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- salt to taste
- fresh arugula, chopped
Caramelized onions and mushrooms:
- 1/2 red onion, cut into strips
- 4-5 baby Bella mushrooms, sliced thin
For the Polenta:
- Remove Polenta from packaging and cut into smaller chunks. About 4 or 5 chunks should be fine.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter and turn to medium heat. Add cut polenta and water or milk. Heat and use a wooden spoon to break up pieces. Continue heating until no chunks remain. Polenta should look creamy.
- Add in mascarpone cheese and mix to incorporate.
- Add salt and to taste. I used about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
For the Caramelized onions and mushrooms:
- In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions.
- Use a spoon to move onions around in an even layer in the skillet.
- Lower heat to low.
- Cook onions down. First they will become until translucent, don't stop there! Continue cooking until they turn into a caramel color.
- Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for a couple minutes more or until mushrooms have lost some of their water.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon creamy polenta into bowls.
- Top with caramelized onions and mushrooms and sprinkle top of bowl with chopped fresh arugula for a peppery finish.
- Enjoy ?
Creamy Polenta will be good for a day or two in the fridge. To. reheat, just put in a saucepan and heat on medium/low. You may need to add a little bit of liquid to get it creamy again.
To make vegan, use water or plant based milk for the polenta and omit the mascarpone cheese. Instead, use vegan cream cheese in the same amounts given.