The healthy summer pasta of your dreams. Loaded with fresh roasted summer veggies that are swimming in an herby tomato sauce and sprinkled with rigatoni pasta to make it the ultimate in healthy comfort foods.
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1 onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 1 bag of rigatoni pasta
- 1 large can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- small container of baby tomatoes
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 2 - 3 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice zucchini and squash into rounds and arrange on a baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until they have cooked down to about 2/3 of their original size.
- While the squash is in the oven, make the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid to add to the sauce.
- To a large saucepan, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium/high and add sliced onions and diced eggplant. Cook, turning with a wooden spoon several times until onions have caramelized and eggplant has softened.
- Add the reserved cup of pasta water, fresh baby tomatoes, canned crushed tomatoes, and dried herbs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
- When squash and zucchini have finished roasting, add immediately to saucepan and mix to incorporate.
- Tear fresh basil into large pieces and add to pan.
- Place in bowl and top with fresh parmesan if desired.