Veggie fritters that are loaded with fresh butternut squash and kale, these patties are delicious and kids love them. They can be batch made and frozen for an easy, healthy snack!
- about 1/2 butternut squash (4 cups shredded)
- 4-5 stems kale (I use Lacinto, but any variety works the same)
- 1/2 onion, chopped small
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil for frying
- To a bowl, add all ingredients and mix really well.
- Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) with olive oil on high heat.
- Form into patties using a 1/4 cup measurement and arrange them onto a baking sheet for easy transport.
- When skillet is hot, place fritters carefully on it using a spatula.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side. You're looking for them to be golden and slightly crispy.
- Carefully remove each fritter with a spatula and drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with extra salt if desired.
To freeze, I recommend making the batter and portioning out each fritter. Layer the fritters with parchment paper in between each one and place in a zip lock bag in the freezer. When ready to use, just take them out of the freezer and fry on skillet until golden. No need to let them defrost. This method yields the freshest tasting fritters.
Alternatively, you can make the fritters completely and bring them to room temperature before freezing. To reheat, place them in an air fryer or the oven at 300F until toasted.
These squash kale fritters keep in the fridge for at least a few weeks.
To Make Yogurt Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 cup yogurt
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup cilantro (stems are okay!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a blender, add all ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.