This is my go to recipe for an easy green bean casserole with delicious homemade mushroom gravy.
This sauce comes together by starting with a roux, then adding fresh chopped onions, plenty of mushrooms, and some dried herbs including a couple of bay leaves. It is seriously eat it straight out of the pan with a spoon worthy.
Steps to easy green bean casserole:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Blanch green beans
- make ridiculously creamy mushroom gravy
Then assemble by layering a pyrex baking dish with green beans, dried fried onions, mushroom gravy, and more dried fried onions. Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes, and you're in green bean casserole heaven.
I love how warm and comforting this dish is without being so heavy like comfort foods tend to be.
Bonus points if you make a little sautéed kale in olive oil for a healthy superfood side:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! For more healthier comfort food recipes, check out my healthy one pot maqluba, cast iron chicken and potatoes, or for breakfast, my oat bran with cinnamon apples is my absolute fav!Print
Easy Green Bean Casserole
An easy, quick, and lighter recipe for homemade green bean casserole. It's comforting, healthy, and lighter than the traditional casserole dish.
- 1 pound of green beans
- 4 tablespoons good quality butter
- ½ - 1 cup flour (start with ½ and add as needed to get the right consistency)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 package mushrooms of choice (I usually use bella)
- 2 cups fried onions
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup milk of choice (I use 2%)
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 2 bay leaves (dried or fresh)
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cleaning green beans and cutting off ends. Blanch in boiling water for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- In a large, deep skillet on medium heat, melt butter and sprinkle in ¾ cup of flour, mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Add in herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly add chicken broth and stir until incorporated.
- Add in milk slowly while mixing. Let the sauce come to a slight simmer and thicken until it has a consistency of a thin but hearty gravy. It will thicken up further in the oven, so you'll want a little bit of extra moisture to start with.
- Remove Bay leaves.
- In a medium baking dish, layer with green beans, then half of the fried onions, all of the gravy, then top with the remaining fried onions.
- Place in oven, uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden.
This will be great for Thanksgiving!
🔥🔥🔥🔥 delicious 😋