With crispy edges and a pillowy soft inside, this focaccia is sure to be a crowd pleaser, if you can save enough for the crowd without gobbling it all up yourself! Using simple methods and basic ingredients, it's also a snap to make.
Focaccia is my absolute favorite bread to make. And Za’atar is one of my favorite spice blends. Focaccia plus Za’atar though, ahh another level of seriously yummy yumminess!!
5 easy to find ingredients make this focaccia bread:
- All purpose or Bread flour
- Active yeast
- Good quality olive oil
- Za'atar spice
After forming the dough, let rise on your counter until about doubled with a towel covering the bowl. Time will depend on what type of yeast used. Generally, expect about an hour for instant yeast and at least a few hours for regular active yeast.
As a general rule, I HIGHLY recommend using active yeast and not instant yeast. The flavor payoff of the slow rise is really worth the wait.
Easy to make focaccia bread flavored with delicious Za’atar spice.
- 5 to 5 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active yeast
- 3 tsp salt (I used pink Himalayan sea salt)
- 2 warm cups water
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons za’atar spice*
- In a large bowl add water and sugar. Whisk.
- Sprinkle yeast over bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in olive oil and mix to fully incorporate.
- Add half the flour and mix with a wooden spoon. Then add the rest of the flour.
- Knead dough until a loose ball has formed.
- In a clean, oiled bowl, place dough and cover with a dish towel. Let rise for about 4 to 5 hours. The longer it rises, the more complex the flavor will be.
- Roll out dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten it to cover the entire baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Let rise a second time for about 20 minutes. It will not double, but will puff up a bit.
- Wet fingers with warm water and poke holes all over the top of the dough.
- Drizzle olive oil over dough and then sprinkle with Za’atar spice. Put as much oil and spice as you want here. I personally like to load it up!
- In a baking pan lined with parchment paper, place dough and slowly stretch out until its covered the whole surface.
- Dip fingers into a little olive oil and press 3 middle fingers into the bread slowly with pressure to form small indentations in the dough.
- Let dough rise again for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle more olive oil on top.
- Bread is always best fresh, but this well keep pretty well on the counter for a few days. Just be sure to cover it with a dish towel so that it doesn't' dry out. Highly recommend warming up before eating!
*za'atar spice can be found in most grocery stores in the spice section.