Easy to make focaccia bread flavored with delicious Za’atar spice.
- 5 to 5 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active yeast
- 3 tsp salt (I used pink Himalayan sea salt)
- 2 warm cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons za’atar spice*
- In a large bowl add water and sugar. Whisk.
- Sprinkle yeast over bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in olive oil and mix to fully incorporate.
- Add half the flour and mix with a wooden spoon. Then add the rest of the flour.
- Knead dough until a loose ball has formed.
- In a clean, oiled bowl, place dough and cover with a dish towel. Let rise for about 4 to 5 hours. The longer it rises, the more complex the flavor will be.
- Roll out dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten it to cover the entire baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Let rise a second time for about 20 minutes. It will not double, but will puff up a bit.
- Wet fingers with warm water and poke holes all over the top of the dough.
- Drizzle olive oil over dough and then sprinkle with Za’atar spice. Put as much oil and spice as you want here. I personally like to load it up!
- In a baking pan lined with parchment paper, place dough and slowly stretch out until its covered the whole surface.
- Dip fingers into a little olive oil and press 3 middle fingers into the bread slowly with pressure to form small indentations in the dough.
- Let dough rise again for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle more olive oil on top.
- Bread is always best fresh, but this well keep pretty well on the counter for a few days. Just be sure to cover it with a dish towel so that it doesn't' dry out. Highly recommend warming up before eating!
*za'atar spice can be found in most grocery stores in the spice section.