A quick and easy French toast recipe that has all of the things we like about French toast! The crispy edges, the soft eggy middle, and the buttery taste that a good brioche gives us.
French toast is a fun recipe to play with. Just about any topping you fancy will go well here, so make it as healthy to as indulgent as you wish.
I like to top mine with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Other topping ideas:
- fruit syrups
- muddled fruits
- almond butter (this with a drizzle of honey is delish!)
The basic ingredients to make a French toast are simple ones:
- A good quality bread
- Milk (plant milk works well here
- Cinnamon, or for more flavor I love to use Pumpkin Pie Spice mix
Quick and Easy French Toast
Quick and Easy French toast recipe that uses simple ingredients and pumpkin pie spice for extra flavor!
- 8 slices of thick. hearty bread (Brioche is my favorite for French toast)
- 1.5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (alternatively you can use ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, but I recommend going with pumpkin pie spice as it lends a more complex flavor)
- ¼ cup milk (Use 2% or full fat for best results)
- butter for frying (I end up using about 1.5 tablespoons for all 8 slices)
- fruit for topping
- maple syrup to taste
- Heat large nonstick skillet on medium/high and add butter to melt.
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs and milk together until combined.
- Add pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon and stir to combine.
- One by one, dredge the slices in the egg mixture. Place soaked slices on a cutting board for a few seconds so that the mixture has time to absorb a little bit (this makes for a much better toast in the end)
- Arrange the soaked pieces of toast in the skillet and cook on each side for about a minute to a minute and a half, they are done when its crispy on the edges and has browned a bit.
- Top with berries, maple syrup
- Enjoy! French toast is best eaten fresh.
Leave a Reply