I LOVE summer squash, do you? My 1 pot vegan squash stew is a hearty but light plant based meal that is comfort food at its healthiest.
Summer is the time to lighten up our meals and eat more plant based foods.
This is such a versatile dish, you can really throw in just just about any vegetable you have on hand and it will turn out well. Squash goes great with zucchini and peppers, so I used those here as the flavors really compliment each other.
For 1 pot vegan squash stew, you'll need:
- 3-4 Yellow squash
- Sweet onion
- 1 red bell pepper (any bell pepper would work here, I just like the sweetness of the red ones)
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
This is one of those recipes that can really be adapted to veggies you have on hand/what your personal taste preferences are. Think of this as a base recipe, and add to it as you see fit.
A few ideas for additions:
- Any color bell pepper will work great here
- Chopped kale (for extra healthy bonus points), or spinach.
- Garlic added in when you sautéed the onions will also amp up the flavor.
- Fresh Herbs: Adding fresh herbs will give this stew a more earthy vibe. Sage, oregano, basil, and parsley all would go well here.
I also HIGHLY recommend eating this with crunchy pita bread and a sunny side up egg. It adds extra protein and a comforting heartiness to the stew.
If you're oil free, this can be made by just omitting the olive oil. It won't be as silky or flavorful as the olive oil version, but will still taste good. If you try this, just add a little water instead of olive oil to the pan when sautéing the onions.
It's delicious eaten with some toasty pita bread. Serious yum!Print
VEGAN SQUASH STEW - 1 POT
Healthy and undeniably easy summer squash stew! It's light, made in 1 pot, and full of healthy summer veggies. It's delicious on pita or over rice.
- 3 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- optional: 1 red bell pepper (or any color bell pepper), chopped
- ½ cup water
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In medium sized pot, heat olive oil on medium/high heat and add chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add all veggies and water.
- Add salt and pepper. Start with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. You can add more as needed later.
- Lower heat to low/medium and cover until veggies have cooked down.
- Using a large fork or a wooden spoon, smash to break up the pieces. You want a chunky dip consistency. Be careful not to over smash it, though. You don't want it to be completely blended.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Enjoy with crunchy pita!
Leave a Reply